Hardingfele music in America, living or dead tradition?

Bob
Site Admin

Hardingfele music in America, living or dead tradition?

Post by Bob »

There is an organization, the Hardanger Fiddle Association of America, http://www.hfaa.org that provides recordings, strings, workshops, a fine journal, and a place for people to join and share interest in the hardanger.

I've always enjoyed the sound of the hardanger since I first heard it played in the early 1980s, probably by Grey Larsen, perhaps Bob Lucas. So I finally was to afford one in 2002, but learning the music without a place to play it has dampened my enthusiasm for learning these simple, yet quite complex, tunes that are played in Norway. I don't know that I have the time remaining to actually delve deeply into the hardanger, especially without dancers for whom to play.

So what I ask is how to learn this music when pretty much it seems the only place I'll ever be able to play it is in my living room or perhaps a concert venue, if I ever start performing.

I don't know the dance so I couldn't teach it, and finding dancers and starting a dance group would be difficult.

I know that some Irish fiddlers, such as Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh, have taken to playing on the hardanger, but I don't really don't want to go down that path, I think the beauty of the Norwegian tunes really are suited to the instrument more.

Any advice?